Saturday, February 25, 2017

American Born Chinese: wwwhhhhhhAAAAATTTTTT?

Okay so.... Would anyone care to explain that ending to me?! No? okay...
Man, I don't know. I'm not saying I didn't like it, and maybe I've been reading books that are more realistic for too long, but that was crazy. I definitely didn't see it coming. I didn't expect to see the author tie it together so much that some of the characters were actually in each others stories. That being said though, it was a fun read. Kind of a week off in a way you know? I felt less stressed about homework so that was a major plus. It made me want to try out a few more graphic novels sometime. 
The issue of fitting in is present throughout the book and it's definitely possible to tie it in with the other books we've read this year, even though it's a graphic novel, and much more fantastical. It made me wonder at points whether everything has a deeper or symbolic meaning. If anything I read in the past I might have missed or not understood. 
Overall, I really loved the meaning of it. On the base level it was a real situation that many people must face at some point in their lives. I loved that it was both real and fantastical, like anyone at any age could read it , enjoy it, and learn from it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, even if it did get a little weird there for awhile....

4 comments:

  1. I also thought the ending was crazy and unexpected, but I definitely enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you've said. I definitely didn't see the ending coming and really enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you describe it as "much more fantastical". I definitely like the book much more after reading the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked the ending a lot- but yeah the book was a bit fantastical. Like you said though it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete