Wednesday, February 22, 2017

American Born Chinese

It's safe to say, this book isn't what I was expecting. I've read few graphic novels myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The illustration, while simple, is light and fun, adding comedy to what could be a much more depressing story. The time flew by as I read and I found myself wanting to continue past the first 130 pages.
My favorite part of the novel so far is that it follows three separate stories. This serves quite a few purposes. Firstly it ensures interest. My favorite of the three is the one about Mr. "I'm not a monkey". Even if I'm not loving reading the other two, at least I have my monkey pal to fall back on. Luckily though I am enjoying all of the stories so far.
The connection between them all I find most fascinating though. Each story is different but they all relate to each other and the underlying issue of race and discrimination throughout the novel. It's almost a study to see how different characters react to racism and bullying in their own ways. Though I personally can't relate to any of the characters, they seem to be realistic portrayals of what could go on in school or life in general. I'm really enjoying the creative directions and illustrations and I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

8 comments:

  1. I agree that they all react to bullying in their own ways. All the characters have different coping mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its kind of cool how all the stories in the book relate to each other- and- that all the stories we have read in class so far seem to relate to each other in different ways as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on your blog! I agree with you this was a very good book, i'm glad I got the chance to read it. I also liked how all the stories relate to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The connection between the stories is extremely interesting. They relate to each other but and are similar but are far from the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The monkey king's story is my favorite of the 3, as well. I find is bouts of anger and force to be comical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel line the Monkey King and Jin Wang have the exact same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also surprised by this book! It wasn't what I expected, but I turned out to like it.

    ReplyDelete