Saturday, February 4, 2017

Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass: Part 1

So far, I've read pages 1-88 of  Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina. I have to say, I'm already loving this book a lot more than Feed.
What stands out to me the most in the novel so far is the bullying. This led me to look into it a little. The first fact I found was a staggering one.
Bullying affects nearly one in three American schoolchildren in grades six through 10. I wonder if that's in cases as extreme as Piddy's case. Honestly, this book isn't really centered around her, the main subject is bullying itself. It has ruled her life. Especially after her elephant necklace was stolen from her.
Gosh. This book is depressing. Sure her home life isn't near as bad as Eleanor's from Eleanor & Park, but her school is worse. Yes, Eleanor was bullied too, but she was so focused on Park, that it almost didn't matter. Besides, Park protected her. She had someone to rely on. Piddy doesn't really have that. She has a friend or two but the only boy who has shown real interest seems to only want to get in her pants. Or maybe he just doesn't know any better. Who knows. He saddens me really.

Aside from the very very depressing aspects of her life, I'm enjoying the reality of the book. Piddy has very real problems. She's dealing with what I would imagine, millions of  high school students deal with. I pity her a little, and I'm a little defensive of her. As I read I'm thinking of giving Yaqui a piece of my mind. Can we all just agree that if your boyfriend is looking at another girl, you kick his ass and not hers!? Thanks. What a jerk. As if Piddy doesn't have enough problems to deal with.
Even if this story doesn't lighten up right away we can be sure that, excuse my french, s*** is about to go down.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your last comment - something is definitely about to go down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that everytime I read about Yaqui I want to give her a piece of my mind. I'm glad that the author includes the reader that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 in 3 kids affected by bullying is shocking! I knew bullying was a problem but I didn't realize to what extent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, I think I am liking this more than Feed so far. The first 88 pages flew by and I was able to follow the story pretty good. I also thought about that difference between Piddy and Eleanor. The bullying with Piddy seems to have a bigger effect on her, maybe because she doesn't have someone like Park in her life to sweep her away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that. I wonder if Yaqui and her are really gonna fight or if it will stop before then.

    ReplyDelete