Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Dante and Aristotle Discover the Secrets of The Universe

Having reading the article assigned to us before starting the novel, I have to say I was a little irritated. Maybe I'm being a little too sensitive and maybe the author made the choice for a completely different reason, but either way I was a little mad.  I read the back of the book before starting and it didn't sound to me as if it was a romance novel. Now, I don't have a problem with this in general but I really, really, really hope it wasn't because it's supposed to be hidden. I know it's sort of implied, I just... I don't know. I want it to not be afraid to slap me in the face with it. I wan't it to say that this book is about a gay couple. I WANNA SEE THE RAINBOW FLAG FLY!
I mean, all things aside, once I started reading, I understood a bit more. What Dante and Ari have is a very subtle sort of love and it goes along with the summary. I just don't want anyone to ever have to hide that. Not in a movie, not on social media, or a book. .....Yeah I'm definitely overthinking this.
Whatever the back of the book says, I'm enjoying it so far. God knows what happens after page 107, frankly I'm not thrilled that we had to stop there. I might have finished the book last night if I could have.  I like that the two characters learn from one another. That they each feel distant from the world. It's the perfect blend of teenage angst and awkward romance. I'm already excited to read more.

2 comments:

  1. Madison- I wanted to keep reading, too! I not only like it I agree that it is a perfect blend of teenage angst and an awkward romance and I can't wait to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see exactly what you mean Madison about how no one should feel the need to hide being gay. I just think that it made sense that the back of the book didn't reflect this, because Ari and Dante didn't realize they were in love at the start of the book, so it feels unfair that the reader should find out before they do.

    ReplyDelete