Monday, January 30, 2017

Feed: A Poor Man's John Green Novel

So yeah. I'm not enjoying this book. I am, sadly, getting used to the horrible slang, not enough to keep it from being annoying though. It pulls me out of the novel frequently, and unpleasantly.  Often I struggle to appreciate the setting or the details in the atmosphere because I'm o limited by Titus's view of the world, by his limited use of language. If I were to rate it I'd give it a 3. Maybe.
To be completely honest with you part of my annoyance is with how similar this book is to current affairs. I won't get into politics too much but let's just say I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that this book's dark setting is maybe not as far away as we'd like. That's not to say it's a bad thing, book quality wise, but geez I could use something uplifiting right about now, rather than more dark, depressing, end of the world talk.
Another point I'd like to make concerns the lesions frequently mentioned in Feed. Two words: grrrrrrrrr ooooooooosssssssss. ugh. No. The detail in which they describe Quendy and her new fake lesions made me want to throw up. Sadly though, similar to the political likeness of the novel to our time, I don't think the similarities to teens and peer pressure are far off either. Yes, lesions sound extreme now, but we've all been there. We've all wanted to be cool. My concern is whether Quendy will be able to ever be normal again once the fad ends.
In this segment of the novel things have definitely gotten worse. I mean, we all kind of knew it would, right? Frankly I'm hoping it all ends just so i can stop reading this book. Call me a critic but I'm just done. I've had enough of the political doom in real life, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment