Monday, March 27, 2017

Shooting Kabul

I chose Shooting Kabul for the plotline described on the back cover. Fadi loses his grip on his little sister's hand as they escape from Afghanistan and returns years later to search for her. Well... I've read chapters 1-7 and haven't gotten to the searching part yet. Honestly, the book is really sad. That was to be expected, given the back cover. What I find most interesting though is learning about the Taliban. Learning something other than Taliban=Bad. It was really interesting to learn a sort of backstory into Afghanistan and the Taliban. It's cool to see another perspective, I find that most of the time the news is biased in some way, and of course the book is as well, but it's a different bias, and that's always interesting.
I think what I'll like most in this book will be set in the future, when Fadi is an adult. I love the idea of going back and searching, rediscovering the past. I'm not sure I've ever read a book like this before and I'm ready to read more already.

4 comments:

  1. The Taliban was probably intended to fight against injustice but then turned Afghanistan into a theocracy. Same thing happened with Al-Qaeda. It was an organization that was created to fight the Taliban but turned into a radical islam Terrorist organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison- I look forward to reading what you learn. The other perspective sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book is also about trying to find a loved one. I'm interested in hearing more about the new perspective in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah this book really is interesting with its background information. It was interesting to me learning about the Taliban and what that situation was like and the different attitudes and experiences surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete