Monday, March 13, 2017

Secrets of the Universe: Not So Secret Anymore

What I find most interesting about this novel is the self-exploration. It isn't something I tend to think about a lot, as I'm straight and never had to worry about being socially accepted. Dnnte's journey of realizing he's gay was surprising to me. I guess I hear more of "I've always known" stories than I do of exploration around puberty. This isn't to say that either is better than the other or that either is false, but I wonder; which is more common? How many teenagers struggle to realize who they are vs the struggle to how others who they know they are? Does that make sense?

What I mean to say is this. Dante has discovered that he is gay. He doesn't seem to have known it prior to meeting Ari or even shortly afterwards. Ari on the other hand is lost. He wants to know what happened to his brother and who he is. He shut out from his father and is left with no male presence in his life to guide him at all. This is probably why he's so lost. Dante has a father who is open with his love and kisses on the cheek, he's accepting and Dante trusts him. He is free to experiment and find himself knowing that his parents will love him anyways. Ari is only 16, he's just starting to wonder about kissing and girls. I don't think it has occurred to him to think about boys. He's fallen in love without realizing it, probably because he was raised to keep his feelings in like his own father has.
I like that it's realistic. I love that I can feel what Ari feels through the writing. It's agnsty and confusing and pretty much exactly what being a teenager is. It does what it's meant to and I love it.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I thought the book portrayed Ari's confusion at himself and everybody else very well. You could understand in some ways why he was so lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the self-exploration aspect of the book is interesting too. Ari's journey is tough and I was a bit surprised too he didn't realize his feelings earlier on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison-I definitely liked the self-exploration part, too. As you pointed out, having role models really can matter. Great quote, too!

    ReplyDelete