Monday, April 10, 2017

Shooting Kabul:Final Thoughts

Shooting Kabul had quite the ending. I really thought it would take the (admittedly unrealistic) route of Fadi winning the photo contest and the tickets to India. Either way, it had to end with him finding his sister right? Well at least I was right on that front. Who would have guessed that a complete stranger would take a picture of her, and that Fadi would see that very same picture and be able to trace her whereabouts. Honestly, I did find that a little far fetched. At the very least, it was a huge coincidence.
When I chose this novel I didn't expect it to be so focused on Fadi and his guilt, rather than his sister. Only in the last chapter was she found and returned to her family, much later than I had expected. The novel really was about overcoming challenges and sticking with it, even if all seems hopeless. Each of the family members blame themselves, and each do their best to help find Fadi's missing sister, even though so much time had passed. Overall, the novel surprised me. It turned out to be a much different story than I was expecting. I'll admit, I enjoyed the beginning more than the farfetched end of the book, though that was mainly due to the fact that the readers were given a brief history course to help us understand life in Afghanistan, something I found very interesting. Nonetheless, the novel had a decent plot line and a solid meaning. Who could complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment